Friday, November 16, 2012

When Your Doula Is Away

As I'm finishing up a well earned vacation, I'm reminded of a common question I am asked.  "What happens if you are not available for my birth?"

Good question.  Having supported families for decades I can say that having to bring a back up doula  into the process is rare.  All hard working doulas take their responsibility to be available very seriously.  That means any plans we make are always "tentative".   We know we are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.   Dental appointments, parent teacher conferences, giving family a ride to the doctor, special dinners out..all have to be cancelled if a family has a need.

But this continuous schedule can be stressful after a long period of time, a break is needed.  I try to get out of town twice a year.   When I return, I'm happy once again to be on call for the families who have chosen to have doula support.

But while away, I make sure that I have a dedicated doula on call for these families.  So what happens if I'm not available?   Another hard working and qualified doula will be available to support them.  

I'm back on call at midnight and continuously until the next great vacation is planned. Thanks to all those wonderful doulas who provide backup so I can get away and regroup! Thanks to all the families who have chosen doula support but also support my getting away for a vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment