Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Memories

Ask any mom about her childbirth and she will have "snapshot" memories of moments during the process.  I know for my own first birth - I can remember being pushed past the waiting area on their way to get me to the delivery room and I saw a few of my dearest friends who had waited all night to support me in the birth of my first precious boy.  I also have no memory of my husband telling me they were opening a donut shop in the town soon - he said he told me this to encourage me during labor as he knew I loved donuts.  Such selective snapshot memories....

Birth is that way - our own endorphins drug us down to forget so much of it.  Unfortunately,  many moms' memories are of small traumatic, unsupported, unheard moments.  So her overall memory of the birth can be a negative one.   That story - told over and over again to expectant moms - can produce such an atmosphere of fear.

I actually started to pursue doula support decades ago to help correct this "memory".  I have seen the benefit of labor support in producing great "snapshot moments" of a birth for a laboring family.  Adding a few well chosen photographic moments can only enhance that memory.  Since we live with our birth stories in our memory, my hope is that having a doula will reframe your experience into a memory you will look forward to telling over and over again - with a smile on your face! Here's to good memories!

1 comment:

  1. Your presence at our births created peaceful, strategic, confident memories. An essential piece of our birth experience! :o)

    ReplyDelete