Thursday, September 24, 2009

"650"

No, not six dollars and 50 cents.  I had the pleasure of attending my 650th birth on Tuesday.  And I do mean my pleasure.  It was hard to get that first l:30am phone call when I had not slept well the night before, but once I was up and moving, the day moved quickly.

Although this is definitely a milestone in my doula career, each birth still has such special meaning to me.  I am in awe of the laboring mom and dad working their way through the process, weighing decisions, grabbing at the "anchors" I provide in a position, a touch, a word.

The strength women show in labor is always encouraging and remarkable and a pleasure to witness. The power a dad shows in his hold, his touch, his presence is a joy to watch.  Two people coming together for a common goal - a healthy birth.

And if anyone has any comments on my blog, I would love to hear them.  This is a journey I hope to share with many families.  I would love your feedback.

So when this 650th baby emerged into the arms of her mom and and dad that morning, I was just as amazed as I was the first time I attended a birth. And so grateful for the privilege of being asked to serve as a guide, a witness, a participant in the process.  Thank you to all the wonderful families who have allowed me to share their journey.  I'm ready for the next birth!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Cyndi on baby no. 650 ~ That is truly a remarkable milestone! You are a special person that, through your work as a labor doula over these years, has helped, supported, and empowered so many couples in working toward their personal birth goals. It is truly a privilege for a laboring mom/couple to have the support of a labor doula! From one of your 650 laboring moms: THANK YOU! You have and do an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete