Friday, October 1, 2010

Baby #700

When I started to attend births 24 years ago, I never imagined I would see so many babies come into the world. What has been the toughest part of this passion? First of all - remembering everyone's name! Honestly, the older I get, the worse it is to remember names. But after all these years, I can still remember something from almost every birth I have ever attended.

Today was a real treat. I had worked with this couple on their first birth and felt privileged to be asked back for number 2. And this was a very typical second birth. Mom called me at 5:30am, 30 minutes after going into labor. And baby was born about 80 minutes later. All went well and I was so happy to share their journey again.

And today was a milestone for me - baby #700. Some have teased me that after l000 I'll quit - but who knows. I just know I'm thrilled to have had a part in so many birth stories over the years. If you are expecting - I hope you'll consider having a doula as a part of your birth. It will not only add to your cherished memory - but hers!

No comments:

Post a Comment